Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Diary of a Struggling Student Entry Thirteen

July 29, 2016

Dear Diary,

No the date is not wrong.  It really is the 29th of July.  I am not sure where those other entries came from or how everything happened but today is the 29th and I am in trouble.  I am in Big Trouble!

Last night when the ranger came and told us that a boy was missing, my mom was really upset.  She kept saying, “I could just imagine if it was one of our children.”

However, when the ranger stepped into the campfire light, I saw the face of the same person or thing that was holding on to my leg when I was on the tube trying to get back home.  I only saw the face for a second, but it was the same face.

The ranger told my dad that someone had said one of the campers from this site was down at the water with a tube.  My dad told him that they must have been mistaken because we do not have any tubes and none of us were playing down by the water today.  The ranger said they were pretty sure that they saw someone and then he looked right at me.  He said that the witness clearly identified me.

He came closer to me and bent down and asked, “Were you at the water today playing with a tube?”

“NO!” I said.
 
My dad looked at me.  I could tell he was not pleased with the way I said no.  My mom was also looking at me very strangely.

The ranger didn’t let up and I swear I could see a slight grin.

“Are you sure you were not down at the water with a tube?  I have it from a very reliable source (and he winked at me) that you were there.”

I felt my stomach turn and thought for a second about running.  Instead, I stood up and said, “I am really sorry but I can’t help you.”

“Why don’t you come with me and we can go talk with the person who saw you?  I bet we can clear this up right away.  I know your parents won’t mind and we will be right back.”

“NO!” 

“For heaven’s sake, what is the matter with you?”  My mother asked.  “Why are you being so rude?  This poor ranger is trying to find a missing child and you are behaving badly.”

Again the ranger looked at me and smiled.  No, no it was a grin – an evil grin.

My dad looked right at me and said, “Were you playing down at the water with a tube?”

I could not lie to my dad.  I wasn’t sure what I was going to do and all I said was, “I was not playing with a tube.”

The ranger looked at me and said, “Did you find or see a tube while you were at the water?”

I knew this was not going to go away.  I was going to have to answer the question.

“I did find a tube down by the water and thought that someone must have left it and gone exploring.  I was afraid if I left it out in the open that someone might come along and throw it in the water or take it.  So, I hid it in the woods and if someone came looking I would show them where it was.”

“Great!” said the ranger.  “Take me to it and maybe we can find the boy.”

“I am not going to do that,” I said.

This time my dad looked shocked.

“What?” he asked.  “What did you just say?”

“I am not going down to the water with the ranger,” I said.  “It is too dark and we would never find it at night.”

“At least come and show me where you found it,” the ranger said.

“I found it at the end of the path.  Just take the path to the water and that is where it was sitting.”

“YOU WILL TAKE THE RANGER TO THE EXACT SPOT WHERE YOU FOUND THE TUBE!  THEN YOU WILL GO DIRECTLY TO YOUR TENT AND STAY THERE UNTIL MORNING.  YOUR MOTHER AND I WILL DISCUSS THIS WITH YOU THEN.  DO YOU UNDERSTAND?” my dad said. 
 
I knew he was mad.  My dad never shouts like that.  Well almost never.

“I am so sorry about this,” my dad said.  “We brought our children up to respect others and be polite.”

What happened next can only be called a miracle.  All of a sudden there was a big flash of lightning and a huge clap of thunder.  The rain started to come down hard and heavy.  I mean hard and heavy.

“Well it is obvious you can’t go to the water tonight but, you come by first thing in the morning and my child will go with you.” My dad said.

I didn’t waste any time getting to the tent and inside.  My brothers and sisters were talking about how much trouble I was in and that tomorrow was not going to be a good day.

Suddenly a head poked in the tent and the ranger’s voice said, “Sweet dreams everyone!”  I will be by bright and early and we can go to the water together.”

No comments:

Post a Comment